Honoring what makes architecture and community enchanting here in New Mexico, the Foundation developed the Annual NMAF Awards Program in 2017. Representatives from each of the three categories received their awards on May 5 during NMAF’s annual membership celebration held at Casa San Ysidro in Corrales.
With nominations made by community members from across New Mexico, a panel of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) reviewed and voted on the submissions, granting six awards this year.
Below are highlights of our winners. In the coming months, each honoree will be featured on the Foundation’s website with more details from the nomination process that revealed why they received this year’s awards.
- For important historic buildings or sites that have had a lasting effect upon bringing together our community (3 awardees)
1) The Fechin House
2) Old Albuquerque High School Lofts
3) Owe’neh Bupingeh
- For newer buildings or sites that have made our community stronger (2 awardees)
2) El Camino Real International Heritage Center
- For an individual or group who has made a significant effort to stimulate public understanding and appreciation of architecture in our community
Las Vegas Citizens’ Committee for Historic Preservation