The Huning’s Highlands Historic District was the Albuquerque’s first subdivision, platted the same month as the coming of the railroad in 1880. It was developed by one of the city’s wealthiest men at the time, Franz Huning.
As more and more frame and brick Queen Anne style homes were built – some modest and some elaborate – Huning Highlands came to resemble a quiet and settled Midwestern town. Residents had only to walk a short quarter-mile across the railroad tracks to buy their groceries, straw hats or a hammer, or to attend performances at the Grant Opera House on Railroad Avenue (renamed Central Avenue in 1907).
Current-day residents celebrate the neighborhood’s history each year with the Dickens of a Dinner event that features a number of the homes during a progressive dinner and walking tour. This year was the 27th year and the following homes and business were included in the tour on Dec. 5:
- 201 High Street: This 1908 house was built by contractor William Worth of cast stone and is dominated by a hexagonal tower and second-story dormer window.
- It was recently renovated by owners Kara and Steve Grant who have incorporated it as part of their historic bed and breakfast business (which also includes the Spy House and the Heritage House – both on High Street).
- 200 Edith Blvd: Built between 1902 and 1908, this Queen Anne Cottage is build of brick and covered with stucco. The roof design, known as cross gable – some section align east-west and others align north-south – was a typical design of the Victorian era.
- 210 Walter Street: Built prior to 1898, this is known to be one of the finest remaining examples of Queen Anne architecture in the neighborhood. The two and a half story brick house is wrapped with a spindle porch and on the northwest corner features an octagonal tower.
- 602 Arno Street: This 1902 house is a hipped box design with a cross-gable section at the rear. There is a large second-floor porch that was added around 1910. It is currently operated as a bed and breakfast
- 400 Broadway Blvd: A residence was on the lot at 400 Broadway between 1899 and 1943. In 1949 the “Tagliaferro Building” was built and many businesses have been tenants – from the Ponca Whole Merchandise Co. to the Salvation Army Thrift Store.
- Current building owners have renovated the building and now operate the Q-Staff Theater.
Read more about the Historic District and each of the neighborhood’s “Home Stories” at http://hhhda.squarespace.com/homes-stories/
Tell us what you think